Sunday, October 26, 2008

soccer

Soccer has been a huge part of my life since I started playing seriously when I was in middle school. I played every fall through high school and every spring on a club team. I went on to play in college and after graduating played for a summer in North Carolina and have played indoor soccer in the winters and coached every fall...until I got pregnant. For the first time in my life, I went 9+ months without real competition, and I had no idea how difficult that would be for me! There's something about having a ball at my feet that is so natural. When I am on a field, I feel a sense of peace and contentment that I don't find many other places. (Don't worry, God and family and friends all bring me greater peace and contentment and joy...but just work with me here.) Soccer has been a physical and an emotional outlet for me for so many years and it has been so tough to sit on the sidelines and watch over the last year or so. After going through such a difficult labor with Camden, I honestly went through a time when I couldn't even imagine myself running again, let alone kicking, sliding, pushing, jumping, falling and everything else that happens in soccer. Nobody warned me of the intense pain and recovery that I would have to go through following delivery. Of course you're as prepared as you can possibly be for birth (you KNOW that's going to be painful), but I had no idea how difficult the next couple months would be on my body. Just this last week, the girls varsity soccer team that I helped coach the last two years asked if I could scrimmage with them because they needed more numbers. Although Camden is now 11 weeks old (!!!) I had not really participated in any real physical activity other than lots of long walks, so I was very nervous to accept this invitation. But, my desire to be competitive and active overrode my fears of the physical pain I might feel, and I PLAYED SOCCER AGAIN! It felt so wonderful to be out there, running and kicking and shooting and having so much fun once again. I finally feel like a "real" person again! Of course I was so sore that I couldn't walk without feeling the burn in my quads for about three days, but it was so wonderful to be active. Now I'm looking at playing indoor this winter and am excited for the Alumni Basketball game at Gordon in a couple weeks! It's nice to know that having a baby doesn't keep you on the couch recovering for the rest of your life! But even if it did, and I never played soccer again, Camden would be completely worth it. He's the love of our life now and overrules all of our old passions. It's funny how your priorities change when you have a child...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Linds. So glad you're "up and running again!" And now you'll have a new fan!
Love, Mom

Nancy Allenby said...

How fun...we can actually comment on this blog?! We were glad we were there right after your big soccer debut, and we're thrilled that you're thinking seriously about playing this winter. We moms need to take some time to pursue our "outside the home" passions!
Love,
Nancy

Kirsten said...

Good to hear from you, and glad you're doing well. I'm going to remember this post 3 months out after I have my first baby (and probably feel quite guilty...)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...