Throughout my pregnancy, and particularly in my third trimester, I felt like I was cheating on Camden. How could I possibly love him as much if I was bringing another child into this world? Would I be able to give him the attention that he needed? Would I still be able to rock him to sleep at night as I had every other night of his short little life? Would he know that I loved him even when I was always holding his new little brother? I would often rock him to sleep during those last few weeks and would feel a sense of loss. My eyes would brim with tears as I felt his little body drift off to sleep and I wondered if he would still be my little baby when I had another little baby to love as well. The idea of this second little being entering the world felt a little strange. Who was this little guy that would turn our world upside down? We knew we wanted to have another baby, and we wanted them to be about two years apart, so he wasn't a surprise...he was (and IS) a blessing! But it still felt strange to me.
And then it happened. My little Micah entered the world. He was perfect. Precious in every way. I literally pulled him out of my body and onto my chest whispering "I love you. I love you. I love you" over and over again. I wanted him to know he was wanted. I wanted him to know he was loved. And I wanted to reassure myself that I could love another being as much as I loved my first.
Introducing Camden to Micah in that hospital room was a beautiful moment. I saw my two boys together for the first time. Two brothers that would hopefully, one day, consider the other his best friend. Two brothers that would laugh together. Cry together. Beat each other up, but also stand up for the other when he needed someone to. I'm already seeing this friendship develop. Camden was the first person to ever make Micah laugh. He loves him so much and I know Micah will idolize Camden as he continues to get older.
Over the next week or two, my emotions shifted even more. I don't know if this is normal, if it was the hormones or something else, but I suddenly became very protective of Micah. He was my baby. He was helpless and tiny and so new to this big world. I was fiercely in love with him - more than I could have imagined during my pregnancy. In some ways I started to feel distant from Camden. He was trying my patience. Things that didn't used to bother me were bothering me. I didn't know how to divide myself between the two of them, when one seemed to need me so much more than the other. I gave Micah to Scott and read books with Camden. I put him to bed when I could and we shared those quiet moments together. But something had changed. My love had multiplied like everyone told me it would and he suddenly wasn't my only love. (I do love Scott too...don't get me wrong! I'm just focusing on my boys here! Love you, Hubby!) I was afraid to admit these feelings to anyone. I didn't want to feel any sort of animosity or frustration towards my firstborn. But when I shared these feelings with my sister she reassured me that it's totally normal. In fact, many, many, many new mothers experience that distancing from their firstborn - and everything would find it's balance in the end. She was SO right.
But it took some time. And that's what I wanted to share with my friend (you know who you are). It's OK to feel like this pregnancy was different than your first. It's OK to feel like you need to psych yourself up a little bit for this upcoming birth. It's OK to feel a little disconnected from this being inside of you that you haven't met yet...and once he or she arrives, it's normal to feel pulled and strained and confused on how you're going to love both of your precious children. But it will all work out just how it's supposed to. Your love will grow. Your love will change. You won't be able to imagine your life without both of your babies. It may take a day, a week, a month...who knows...but before long you will find that balance and your love will be overflowing.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8a
17 comments:
Love you Linds! Thanks for sharing, its been a whirlwind of emotions over the past four months, but you are doing an amazing job as a mommy of 2!
You summed up my experience SO perfectly!! It's just amazing, isn't it? Thanks for sharing!!!!!
Lindsey, you are a beautiful person, a beautiful mother, and a GREAT writer! This whole post is so beautifully articulate! Thanks for sharing from your heart, and I'm glad I could be an encouragement to you.
xoxo,
C
Beautifully written Lindsey! I felt the same way~ esp. with #2 after the birth which was hard. But you are right that it all balances out. Thanks for putting it into words.
Thank-you. Thank-you. Thank-you.
Such a lovely post! You will be so thankful you wrote all of that down! I am already starting to forget all those new and tender moments. Thanks for helping me remember. The days with these little ones are precious!
This was so encouraging, Lindsey. I enjoyed hearing your perspective : )
Nice job putting into words what so many people are afraid to say. I love my kids more and more each day too! I felt so many of the same things you did. I had a little different experience with Corbin in feeling so guilty for not spending time with him and attending to him after Eliza was born... that my bonding with Eliza took longer because of this guilt. But man did that change. I love both of them to bits now! Thanks again! Oh and I am going to forward your blog to a friend expecting #2 soon with similar feelings!
Reading your thoughts took me way back down memory lane! I had three kids--the first two only 11 months apart--that was CRAZY, but they are great as adults. The third child got along with his oldest sib since they were two yrs apart and fought constantly with his brother, but now they are a tight knit group. I remember going to Wal-Mart with only two of them and being astonished at how easy it was to get across the parking lot...(grinning) Children bring such unique challenges and adventures to our adult lives. I'd be so different and probably boring without them.
What a beautifully written account of the ins and outs and ups and downs of the past four months. You've certainly had a lot to juggle with the house renovation coming into your lives about the same time as Micah! We think you and Scott are doing an incredible job of parenting our two precious grandsons, and we couldn't be prouder of you AND your boys!
Very well said Lindsey! I always enjoy reading your posts! PS: Do you plan to have more? (if that's not too personal to ask)
Beautifully written, Linds. I well remember those conflicted feelings, wondering how I would ever "share" my love without ignoring the needs of my first. But you were so easy as a baby that it made the transition easier for me and for Caren. It is a wonderful experience bringing up more than one child and seeing their differences and similarities and how they relate to each other and to their parents at different stages of life. The instinctual and protective love of a mother is a strong, strong emotion. Love you lots and love the little guys you have brought into the world!
Thanks for posting this! Now that I'm about 3 months away from having #2, the stress regarding the transition is really starting to set in. It's nice to get an idea of what to expect - and reassurance that it gets easier with time!
Oh Lindsey... I read this when I was out visiting Rita.. and it put tears in my eyes. Oh you are soooo right. Oh this is sooooo good. I just love you.
Beautifully written, heart-felt and oh so true! I remember feeling this way when I was pregnant with both my second and third babies (all boys!) Even though that was a30 years ago, and now I have grandchildren, it is still fresh in my mind. I hope you don't mind if i share this link with my daughter-in-law!
This is so true!!!
Post a Comment