Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A Very Special Homecoming

Eight weeks is a long time.  It's a long time to be lying in a hospital bed.  It's a long time to be alone all night long with just uncertain thoughts of the future to keep you company.  It's a long time to be poked and prodded and cared for by strangers who soon become friends, but somehow they are friends you kind of wish you'd never met given the circumstances.  It's a long time for a spouse to go home to an empty house every night after being by your side for long days.  It's a long time for daughters to miss and worry and wonder about their Daddy.  It's a long time for grandkids who say, "See Bepa?" every time their Mom leaves the house, even if it's just to go for a run.  Eight weeks is a long time. 

I know there are families that experience this reality for much more than eight weeks.  I know it's possible that we might find ourselves there again sometime in the future.  But for now, in this very moment, we are all just so thankful that those eight weeks are over.  Right now, I'm so thankful that when I think about my Dad tonight, I am picturing him sitting in his recliner in his own house with my Mom close by...listening to the same claps of thunder that are shaking my walls and seeing the same lightning light up the same sky.  I think I can finally allow the image of him lying in his hospital bed at rehab, watching a TV that doesn't even have ESPN and chatting with the occasional nurse that pops in to slowly fade from my mind. 

My Dad came home last night.  After two weeks of pain and fear at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center that included an embolism, a major surgery to repair his collapsed spine and remove the tumor that caused it, acute paralysis from his waist down (I will never forget the moment his surgeon discovered this paralysis as I was in the room alone with him) leading to a rushed emergency surgery followed by six weeks of grueling physical and occupational therapy at HealthSouth...My Dad is finally home! 

My mom and I spent Tuesday afternoon with him packing up his room, watching his final therapy session and saying goodbyes to his therapists and nurses (all of whom were really sad to see my Dad go).  The anticipation was palpable.  We all breathed a big sigh of relief as we pulled into their little driveway in the village. 

This journey is not over.  A long road is ahead as my Dad battles this disease that is plaguing his body, while continuing to try and gain strength and mobility as he recovers from this spinal cord injury.  The incredible support of family, friends and the greater community has given us hope.  The kind words, the prayers, the financial contributions, the fundraisers and the amazing generosity of local businesses and carpenters and neighbors...God has been so faithful and I know He will continue to be. 

Preparing a Welcome Home sign for Dad's return before I headed down to Concord!
Dad's window by his bed at HealthSouth...
 Working hard in therapy...
 Saying goodbye to his occupational therapist...these two spent a lot of time together!
 Final meeting with our case manager - she was great!
 Dad spent almost two hours a day with his physical therapist.  He is a former marine and worked my Dad hard, but they had such a great relationship and I think I might have seen a tear in his eye when he said goodbye to my Dad.

 Mom learning to flush the pic line - she's a nurse now!
Our last photo together at rehab!
Heading out to the car!
 Pulling into the driveway!
 The welcoming committee...
 Dad's going to enjoy sitting on his own front porch again!
 The boys helping get Bepa's wheelchair setup...
 Thank you RP Johnson's and Jack for the new ramp!
 Micah likes the balloons...
 Mom putting Dad's wedding ring back on his finger for the first time since he had to take it off 8 weeks ago at DHMC.  It was a pretty cute moment!

Welcome home, Daddy.  I think you are right where you need to be. 
 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Linds this is SO beautiful! Thank you so much for all the amazing hard work of vigallance you've done these 8 weeks! You deserve a medal! And thank you for taking the time to put it all into words so that those of us who are far away can still be a part of the story! I love you so much!!!!

Amy Mak said...

So glad he's home! You guys have such a great family.

Lisa Logan said...

The love in your family is palpable, even over the internet. Congrats on having your dad back in the comfort of his own home!

Jessica Griz said...

Awe, what a sweet moment that you were able to capture of your mom putting your dad's ring on. So sweet. This is a beautiful post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...