Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Fun-Filled Day

We had such a fun family day on Saturday.  After a trip to the dump and the hardware store, we decided to swing by the little historical society located in the old train station in town.  We were bummed to see that it didn't open until 10:00, but a nice woman  opened it up for us early (we only live about 5 minutes away, so we easily could have come back, but we appreciated the gesture none-the-less).  The boys love visiting this old station, climbing on the caboose and looking around the old village store that has been kept in tact.  I love it too.  Some how it brings out the Anne of Green Gables lover in me. 
An old painting from 1900 depicting the hustle and bustle of the Potter Place station.  This place is extremely quiet now-a-days in comparison. 
 See them peeking out the windows?!?
 We are so lucky that the old train tracks have been transformed into the beautiful Northern Rail Trail where we walk, run and ride our bikes nearly daily. 
 This image shows the old train station in Andover just down the road from our house.  Now there is little community ball field and playground with the rail trail running along side it. 
 Here's the Potter Place station that we visited on Saturday. 
 Some interior shots of the beautiful general store...
 Playing checkers...
 After our visit to the historical society we ventured off for a spontaneous trip to the Danbury waterfall.  This is one of my favorite places to enjoy in our area.  We used to come here all the time as a family when I was younger and it always brings back memories of my childhood.  It's so fun to see my boys enjoy my old stomping grounds, although this waterfall will be much more fun when they're a little older and I'm not freaking out about them falling in and being swept away!
 Handsome boys...
 Love him!
Here I am with my sister and parents at the waterfall long ago!  Apparently, I wasn't so happy to be there!
 After our morning adventures we headed over to my parents for a little lunch birthday party.  My Aunt and Uncle were visiting from New York with two of my cousins (their sister Emily goes to Duke and happened to be going to Clara's birthday party on that same afternoon!  It was almost like we were all together in some weird way). 
Our boys had so much fun with Lizzy and Andrew...
 Aunt Lenore and Uncle Ken visiting with my Dad and Scott on the front porch...
 Aunt Lenore is so good with my boys.  They love her!
 They sang "Happy Birthday" to me!  Yay!  (I can't believe I'm turning 30 tomorrow - another post on that coming up soon). 
 Lizzy and the boys...
Phew!  And all of this happened before nap time!  That evening Camden learned to ride his bike with no training wheels!  I think I need to dedicate a whole post to that milestone!  Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Amy Mak said...

I love this whole post! I'll get details about the bike tomorrow :)

Cindy said...

I love this one too. All the detailed photos of the train station and store are great! So glad you got over to the waterfall too! And thanks for taking photos of Ken and Lenore's visit. Good job documenting! Such beautiful photos of the boys! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...