Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thankful - Even When Life is Hard

I'm feeling very blessed this Thanksgiving evening.  My belly is full, we enjoyed a beautiful day surrounded by family, I'm sitting with Scott in our cozy little home that we own, enjoying the glow of the fireplace and feeling thankful for all that God has blessed us with.  It would be easy in this season of life to feel depressed and sad...even hopeless...watching my Dad battle stage 4 cancer is by far and away the worst thing I've ever had to go through in my 30 years of life, but I'm also keenly aware of how much good surrounds me...How the beauty of God's creation lifts my spirits.  How snuggles and hugs and giggle fits with my boys brighten my day.  How the little kicks in my belly remind me of new life and new love.  How listening to my boys pray for Bepa (my Dad) every night tugs at my heartstrings and fills me with joy all at the same time.  Life is messy, but it's wonderful too.   

"The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me 
Let me be singing when the evening comes."
We had a wonderful day surrounded by my grandparents, parents, sister, brother-in-law, niece, and in-laws.  After our meal, we sat around the living room together and each wrote a note on a little paper leaf about what we were thankful for.  We went around the room sharing our thoughts and then the kids took turns hanging the leaves on our little Thanksgiving Tree.  Micah's first thing he wanted to write was "Bepa."  Camden made about six leaves with things ranging from our family, to the outdoors, to blankets and our couch.  He's a kid who knows what it means to be thankful for the big things and the little things in life.
 It was a good day.  And we all have a lot to be thankful for.  
A few things that I'm especially grateful for today...

Last but not least, my wonderful father-in-law celebrated his birthday today (although we're having another little family party for him tomorrow).  He's a pretty great guy and I'm (along with the rest of my family) very lucky to have him in my life!  xo

3 comments:

Sweet Mess said...

Beautiful & so true!

Amy Mak said...

Beautiful; love it. I love how you did that photo collage! Need tutorial :)

Courtney said...

Happy Thanksgiving dear friend! Beautiful write-up! So true. So much to be thankful for, even in the light of current struggles, so much to be thankful for. Can't be denied. God has placed so much goodness in the world! I'm thankful for YOU!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...