Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Camden's Friends

Scott and I absolutely love living in New Hampshire. We love that our house backs up to thousands of acres of woods, that we always see people we know around town or in the grocery store, that we usually don't have to worry about locking our car, that we can step out our front door and walk to beautiful lakes, mountains, meadows and the awesome rail trail...but at times it does feel a little lonely. I hear from other young Gordon-alum moms about how they bring their little children to baby story hours, children's museums, MOPS, free swim lessons at the YMCA and tons of other activities that keep their children active and happy and provide a great way for young moms to meet other women. I often talk to these friends (or read their blogs!) and get a slight sense of jealousy - would I be happier living on the North Shore still where there are more opportunities like this? Sometimes I'm tempted, but then I remember all the traffic and busyness and am glad that we live where we are.

Although I don't have quite as many formal opportunities to meet other moms, I do feel extremely blessed to be living in a community full of new moms and babies! Six babies have been born on campus in the last seven months and another woman is due in April! I am (by far) the "baby" of the group as everyone else is in their mid-30's to early-40's, but despite the age difference between us, we are all going through the same things - sleepless nights, researching vaccinations and how and when to introduce solids, dealing with baby's first sickness, etc...

We have been getting together once a week for what we call "Mama's Tea" - it is so fun to see our babies roll around on the floor together and share ideas on different parenting techniques. There is a sense of relief that sweeps over me when I hear a friend say that her child is waking up to nurse every two hours as well, or her child hates tummy time too! It's nice to know that there are other women out there figuring out what's best for their family and their child as they go. Parenting truly is a continuous learning experience - and once you think you have something down, it changes!

Along with these women on campus, many of my very best friends from college are having their first babies as well! Sadly, we all live very far away from each other, but we have a great time sharing stories and ideas over the phone or via Skype on the computer! We were lucky enough to get together at Homecoming in the fall and introduce our babies to each other - it was pretty cute!

We feel so blessed to have so many baby friends for Camden, and as a result of these little friendships, my relationships with many of these women have grown much deeper. I'm so excited to see Camden grow up with these other little boys! It's going to be an adventure!

Caden, Camden and Preston...


Camden and his cousin, Clara...


Camden and his friend Jordan...(Jordan is two months younger).


Camden and his little buddy Linden (Linden is six weeks older than Camden).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How adorable!!! Great post! Love, mom :)

Erin said...

Yeah for babies and moms!I know exactly how you feel. It's so nice to go through these things with other moms and not feel alone! I am also thankful for BLOGs to stay in touch with other far away moms. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Awesome post LB! I can't wait to get home and see you all (mostly Camden;-) on Wednesday. I really like the pictures too. See you soon. -Dad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...