Friday, January 7, 2011

Cabinets - Help!

Have I mentioned that there are a TON of decisions to be made when you're essentially rebuilding a house that has been gutted??  Let's just say that to someone who struggles with indecision, this can be a very daunting task!  So, we've decided we're going with white cabinets in our new house and I'm super excited about how our kitchen designs are turning out.  We have two cabinet styles right now that we're trying to decide between and we need your input.  One style is a simple shaker door and the other has more detail.  The pictures I have of the shaker style are not in white (unfortunately), but we would be ordering the white version of these and these samples are not true to size either, so don't pay too much attention to anything but the style/detailing!

So, in keeping with our updated, but old (mid-1800's), house with lots of character and charm, should we go with the simple shaker or the style with more detail?  VOTE BELOW and leave a comment if you have any reasoning behind your vote!  Thanks in advance for your help!

Shaker Style:

Greater Detail:

9 comments:

Kevin said...

Simple shaker left natural with a nice clear gloss finish would look great and last

Jessica Griz said...

I love the greater detail one!!! It's still very simple but has just a touch of style :) (Both are beautiful though.)

M Hardie said...

HI Linds-

I LOVE the greater detail cabinet but voted for the Shaker style. I'm a sucker for simplicity in old houses when it comes to the "built in" stuff. It gives you the freedom to change the non- built in details of your house as much as you want...plus if something happens, they will be easier to repair - no detail molding to match! And for resale (if you ever want to size up when you have 16 kids), the simpler is usually better.

Just my two cents. It also really depends on the deign of your kitchen too....the counters and fixtures you are envisioning.

SO excited for you. Someday, I hope to be asking these questions!

HAK said...

I voted for the simple shaker just because I hate cleaning. We have cabinets and 6-panel doors in our house with greater detail and they are hard to keep dirt/dust/grime out of all the little crevices. And of course, all that dirt and grime adds up in the kitchen (at least in my kitchen). So that's my only thought on that...probably would go with the greater detail if I was a) a person who doesn't mind cleaning or b) wasn't so incredibly busy with 2 kids, school, and a full-time teaching career!

brianahutch said...

Linds - are cabinets look just like the simple shaker style. I love them!! I definitely think they go more with a historic home. Definitely crazy home many choices there are!! Good luck!!

conveyableflow said...

I was going to vote for fancy but M Hardie's answer sounds pretty smart to me. However, I have absolutely no expertise in these sorts of matters so I am commenting solely to voice my support for whatever you choose.

Are you watching tons of TLC fixer upper shows? I know I would be... Have fun!

Nina said...

greater detail! greater detail! they are simple but add a touch which is really nice. I noticed that someone mentioned something about simpler being easier to clean... but both cabinets have a little rim around them so I think the cleaning would be the same effort. NOthing a little dust rag can't cure. :)

Mama B said...

greater detail!!! they have more character, like your adorable house, and are really beautiful!

T said...

Cole and I both vote for the shaker ones. We think they are cool and have character for your old house

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...