Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Social Network

My sister, Caren, posted this fascinating article on Facebook a few days ago.  It's entitled The Anti-Social Network - By Helping Other People Look Happy, Facebook is Making Us Sad and discusses how people who use social networking sites can almost create a character that they want others to see  - post perfect pictures, list all our wonderful accomplishments, post little status updates that will draw praise from our "friends" etc.  By sifting through all these "air-brushed" versions of our "friends" on a daily basis, many people start to feel worse about themselves by playing the comparison game.  I have to admit, I've done it before myself.  "Oh, look at her status.  Her baby slept for 14 hours straight!  Why doesn't our baby do that?"  "Oh look, they actually have time to go out on romantic dates all the time."  "What?!  Their kid walked at 8.5 months?  Who do they think they are showing that off to the world?" (OK - that was us...I admit it.  I get sucked in to posting things I'm proud of on Facebook too!)

The article says, "Any parent who has posted photos and videos of her child on Facebook is keenly aware of the resulting disconnect from reality, the way chronicling parenthood this way creates a story line of delightfully misspoken words, adorably worn hats, dancing, blown kisses. Tearful falls and tantrums are rarely recorded, nor are the stretches of pure, mind-blowing tedium. We protect ourselves, and our kids, this way; happiness is impersonal in a way that pain is not. But in the process, we wind up contributing to the illusion that kids are all joy, no effort."

I am guilty of this on both Facebook and my blog.  I love to put funny quotes of things Camden said, announce with joy that he FINALLY slept through the night at age 2, show off Micah's adorable little smile that we can get on command now.  I love to post pictures once a month or so and I'm not gonna lie, I LOVE reading everyone's comments on them!  It's fun to show off our families.  I'm proud of my kids.  I'm proud of my marriage.  I'm proud of our little life that we've created for ourselves here in NH.  BUT, it's true...I don't often express my frustrations on the internet.  So, for those of you who think my life is just perfect and I have perfect children and nothing ever goes wrong, here are a few things that will make you feel better about your own life instead of worse!
-  I have not slept through the night in over 2.5 years!
-  Camden is at such a fun age right now, but there are moments (almost daily) when he absolutely makes me SO angry I could cry.
-  Sometimes it seems like Scott and I are two ships passing in the night.  His schedule is insanely busy and I miss him.
-  90% of the time I LOVE being a stay at home mom, but there are moments when I miss having more adult interaction and more of a sense of "purpose" - (although I do feel like this is where I'm meant to be and where I WANT to be...but there are moments when it's tough!)
-  I will never be as good of an athlete or as skinny as I was before I had kids.  grrrr.
-  Our house is going to be awesome, but gutting and renovating a house on top of two kids and Scott's full-time+ job is exhausting!
-  I hate folding laundry and it seems as though it's going to be a daily activity for the rest of my life.  ugh.
-  Money is tight now that we bought a house (we've always been frugal, but now we really have to be) and I can't just go to the outlets anymore to get out of the house.  (We did stop by Old Navy over the weekend and I spent $30 for $153 worth of clothes for the boys for next winter!  Bargain shopper!  :)
-  Sometimes I'm lonely and for the number of years that we've been here, I just don't feel like I've made as many close friendships as I would like to have.
-  I've been sick for four days now and my eyes are stinging and I need to go to bed!

There!  How's that for a reality check!  Now, this isn't a pity party.  In fact, I had some really awesome blog ideas I was going to write about that were infused with thankfulness and adorable photos of my precious children and happiness, and I'm still going to write those, but I also don't want to be one of those people who paints this "perfect" little picture of myself and my life and in turn make other people sadder (as the article talks about). 

Luckily, I can hold on to the truth that, "Though the darkness may last for the night, His joy comes in the morning." 

12 comments:

J Muller said...

Thank you for being so honest. I love you.

Magpie Designz said...

i dunno...i kinda disagree with the article. why would people want to hear all our complaints? We want to share our joys with friends and family. Why would someone else want to be tortured by a child having a tantrum or a picture of me without my makeup on? Yes that is real life but really, people don't need to be involved in EVERYTHING! I do agree that people use FB to boast and fill their insecurities but really, I think it's a stretch to ask why we don't share our down's as much as we share our up's. just my opinion of course :) Thanks for your honest thoughts and interesting discussion Linds, I appreciate your blog!

Lindsey said...

Good thoughts Em. It's not like I really want to watch video's of my friends kids throwing tantrums! But I do think that we are careful to only reveal parts of ourselves (the good parts!) - which is fine, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't presenting some fake facade that isn't really real. Aghh...I'm supposed to be in bed! Goodnight!

Lisa Logan said...

I really, really appreciated this post, Lindsey! I was just writing one very similar today (that should be up on Friday...gotta get ahead with the posts on these snow days because regular week nights get busy...) about how easily we envy our perceptions of other people's lives...and I was using FB pictures as one of my examples of how we glorify people's lives too!

I must confess--I didn't read the full article that you linked to--but I really appreciated your authenticity and honesty. I always feel a little torn on the kid thing--sometimes it seems like it would be SO much work and SOOO exhausting, but then it seems (from pictures, blogs, etc.) that kids are just so cute and fun and relatively easy all the time. I know it's both and I'm sure parenthood is super rewarding, but I just appreciated the honest appraisal. I'm sure I'll struggle when I have kids and it will be nice to know I'm not the only one who has tough days or tough moments.

Unknown said...

I really appreciate this post! I have to admit that in my facebook stalking of people I went to high school with I often question what I'm doing and whether I'm "on track". Each time someone gets engaged or posts a picture of their gorgeous child (yours are two of the cutest, really!) I wonder if there's something I'm missing.
Maybe the place that we're lacking is combining the social network with the real network. If we had the time and opportunity to talk to each other we could get more of the day to day hardships while still marveling at how quickly the children grow...
Thanks for bringing up a tough topic!

kaite drew said...

linds, you are amazing and a breath of fresh air even when you're being brutally honest and showing the full spectrum of being a SAHM. you are a wonderful mother to your boys and you and scott are still an inspirational couple. thanks for all of these things! you rock! xoxo kaite

Scott A. said...

I miss you too, but winter is almost over. Thanks for being such an amazing wife and mother for our family!

jenny said...

Amen! Amen ! Amen! Yes my friend. Oh can I "feel" ya in everything you mentioned. Thank you for being honest. And OH.... just WAIT till your house is all done... it seems like it will never end... but then it will! ANd you'll be sooo surprised at how much time was in it! And you and Scott won't be like passing ships anymore.

Erin said...

I think about this sometimes when I write lots of positive, look at me updates or blogs but I feel like I like knowing the good side of things too. I think your FB and blog posts are very honest and show many sides to your parenting and life style both the good and the bad. Thanks for sharing.

sparkles said...

I have to admit...that I make fun of people that only post unhappy things..its the same people all the time that leave posts wondering what happened or only post to complain and look for attention. I like the happy bubble :) True friends now what is really going on and its nice to brag about the good times! We need more of that in this world. But, thank you for showing me that you have the same problems I have!! Two kids is a constant marathon.

Anonymous said...

I love you Linds! This is a great post, and I'm glad to know you are really human! I struggle with what to post on-line because of "tone". If I share something I'm struggling with, it could easily come off as whiny, but if I share something I'm happy about, it can seem like bragging. It's easier in a conversation where you can hear someone's emotion about something, rather than trying to decipher it via the internet. All that to say, I still think that blogging and facebook can be important ways of building human connection, not just isolating us. But it does help to be aware of the potential pitfalls.

Cindy said...

Really good post, Linds. Obviously hit a chord with lots of people. Appreciate your honesty. Lots to think about... Love you, and hope to give you guys a break and me some grandparent time tomorrow!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...