Friday, February 12, 2010

Sick

So our poor little guy has been sick since Tuesday. At first we thought it was just a cold or that it was teething-related since his eye teeth (and a million others) are all poking through. The amount of snot, drool and tears soaking his face these last few days is unbelievable. He has been clinging to me like a little monkey, and will hardly go to anyone else, even Scott. He only sleeps if he's in bed with me and lies practically on top of me...so needless to say, I haven't slept in three nights. We had Camden's 18 month well-child check up scheduled for today, so we decided to wait until today to bring him to our pediatrician since it's about 45 minutes away. He was a blubbering mess as Dr. Turkington tried to check his ears and eyes and throat and everything. We talked a little about normal 18 month check-up stuff - food, words, sleeping, all the new things he's learning, but most of that discussion was put aside to deal with the little mess we had on our hands.

It turns out that Camden has a Respiratory infection called RSV - Respiratory Syncytial Virus. Apparently, tons of kids in the area are sick with this. It can be very dangerous for newborns and kids with asthma, but Camden should handle it fine. The bad news is that he is in a lot of pain (ears, throat, fever, cough, snot...) and that he's going to get worse before he gets better! He's already coughing to the point of choking, so I'm a little nervous about this getting worse. We have an inhaler of Abuterol to give him connected to a little mask...but he definitely doesn't like it. Hopefully he'll get used to it so he can improve.

He is such a pitiful sight to see. Here are a few pictures from today...
 
  
This is the only way he'll sleep, so I'm spending a lot of time in bed...
 
 Right when we finally night-weaned him and got him sleeping through the night (until 4:00am) he gets sick.  Oh well...his health and my sanity are more important than routines, so it's back to nursing on demand and co-sleeping until the worst is over!  I'm lying in bed next to him right now.  Scott has an away basketball game in Connecticut and won't be home until 11:30, so I'm all stocked up with some movies and a glass of water to get me through the night - no Olympic Opening Ceremonies for me tonight!

Hope everyone else is staying healthy!  We feel so blessed that this is only Camden's second (and worse) sickness (yes, this is worse than his bout of Swine Flu) and are looking forward to having our healthy, happy boy back soon!

9 comments:

The Revillas said...

Sorry to hear he's so under the weather! I can definitely empathize - Syd has spent more of her life sick than healthy. I'm crossing my fingers she grows out of it ;-)

Hoping he's feeling better soon so that we can still see you next weekend!

Amy Mak said...

Oh he looks so sick and miserable! I'm sorry...hope you're not losing your mind and Camden gets better soon.

Maggs said...

Oh Lindsey, the poor little guy looks so pitiful. I am praying he gets better FAST and that you get some rest as well. Hang in there and hug that little cutie pie for me.

Rita said...

Aw, poor little guy! Those pictures of him just melt my heart, I feel so bad for him! Hope he gets better soon so you both have time to rest up before the big play date next weekend!! :)

Clara said...

GJG DGSN DGFG SGDFGSD GSG D.FGDF,GFD GDFG DGD GF GF G JFGFD S.FHG JFSD GSDFNGDF GSDF J GDFS,G SD JBNFGFDGDJG GFG DFG JFDGFDJCJFBB
"Dear Lindsey and Camden and Scott. I'm so sorry to hear that Camden is so sick! PS :: I love the pictures of Camden on your blog!
Love, Lindsey and Camden and Scott.
Bye bye Lindsey! Bye bye Camden! Bye bye Scott!"

Caren said...

Poor little sweetie! He looks so sad! Hang in there, and hopefully he'll be improving before too long.
love,
C

Jay, Sarah, Noah, & Nate said...

Poor little guy! I hope he feels better soon!

Erin said...

Poor little guy. He looks so sick. I am hoping for a fast and healthy recovery!!!

Susie said...

those pictures are precious! i hope he feels better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...