Thursday, October 21, 2010

Camden's New Toy

After majoring in Sociology in college, and learning a great deal about gender roles and gender issues in society, I vowed I would never force gender stereotypes on my children.  I thought I would be anti-blue/pink in dressing my children, but I have to admit, I love finding cute little boy clothes for my boys and it's nearly impossible to avoid the color blue!  I've softened my opinion in that area, but I still really want to be conscious about not placing my boys in certain activities based solely on their gender rather than what their interests are.  If Camden wants to take gymnastics or dance or something like that, I'm hoping that we would encourage him in whatever direction his passion takes him.  We try to buy toys and books that aren't too gendered as well (although Camden is super into trucks and legos - how did that happen?  I don't know!).  Although Camden seems to be all-boy, we gave him a present recently that he is just in love with!  We gave him his new doll stroller earlier this week as a present for being such a great big brother to Micah, and he has been pushing around his little green monkey in it all week!  We love that Camden is nurturing, caring and gentle with Micah and although these aren't typically thought of as "boyish" qualities, they are certainly qualities we want our children (male or female) to have.  All I can say, is Camden is going to make some woman very happy some day and is going to be an amazing father. 




4 comments:

(Aunt) Sarah said...

Oh my - I LOVE THIS! It is so amazingly adorable and sweet. Love the new blog header too! xoxo

Sweet Mess said...

That totally made my day! He is SO cute. (and so is that monkey!)

Jay, Sarah, Noah, & Nate said...

so cute!!

Jessica Griz said...

Awe! So sweet! I love his vest too ;) I have just been amazed at how much my girl is girl, and how much my boy is boy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...