So...if YOU were designing a kitchen with a peninsula that had to have a sink in it and stools on the opposite side, would you have one big flat surface (first picture) or would you design in with a step-up to the eating area (second picture)? Look at the two following pictures and then vote below. Disregard everything else you see in the pics (design, style, colors...everything), just trying to find an example of the two options I'm thinking about...
Photo from http://www.houzz.com
Photo from http://www.taylormadecontracting.com
7 comments:
Sarah and Brian
said...
We both vote for the second (step up), but it won't let Sarah vote twice and Brian's too sleepy on the couch to get up and get his own computer to vote. So count one extra vote for the step up! We think it will be easier to have the kids eating at the counter (and to serve food on the counter) while you are doing dishes or working around the sink without it all mixing together and feeling like a big mess of stuff! Exciting stuff!
Love you guys and can't wait to see you this week!
I don't know what I would choose. It depends on if you want a higher bar with higher stools or a shorter bar. Another question I have for you is do you mean an island or a peninsula? That would also make a difference. I think if it's a peninsula I would do two different levels and if it's an island one. Like in the pictures. Good luck! What fun! Some day we get to make those decisions too!
I personally like the look of the flat surface all the way across better (for an island...I agree with Erin about the island vs. penninsula thing) BUT I think the step up would be more functional for life with little kids who will be eating at the counter...a separation in the space should (hopefully) keep their little hands away from grabbing everything on it... :)
While the step up for the bar area is nice, it has a few draw backs: 1. Not as easy for friends and family to help prepare food on the other side. 2. Really high for the little ones right now...where are a normal counter height stool would be better. 3. It is a bit high for serving food. 4. It is another surface you have to clean (and backsplash to maintain) 5. The step up will give you places to put clutter, where as a flat surface is more likely to stay clutter free. 6. If you EVER plan to change the curfact of the counter (laminate now, granite later, etc) than a flat surface is the way to go as it will be much easier to upgrade down the road.
I wish I had an island/peninsula to consider for my own kitchen! :-) But we are going strong in our 650 sq. feet! All of these factors were ones my mom considered and she went with flat and is glad.
AND this is really fun! Keep sharing house decisions...even ones you don't need help on!
I voted for the flat surface, though I think there are definitely good reasons for the split height (all those mentioned here). I guess as a person with zero counterspace in my kitchen, the thought of maximizing surface space sways me to the flat option. I'm with Shannon on all the reasons for the flat one, though the split option looks great too!
I thought the flat surface would be better for maximizing counter space. The step up would break up the continuous space and would be to high for a prep area. I would rather have the larger prep area.
7 comments:
We both vote for the second (step up), but it won't let Sarah vote twice and Brian's too sleepy on the couch to get up and get his own computer to vote. So count one extra vote for the step up! We think it will be easier to have the kids eating at the counter (and to serve food on the counter) while you are doing dishes or working around the sink without it all mixing together and feeling like a big mess of stuff! Exciting stuff!
Love you guys and can't wait to see you this week!
Thanks for your input Sarah and Brian! We'll mentally add another vote to option #2 since Brian is too lazy to get his computer! :)
I'm leaning towards #2 as well for the reasons you said, but wanted some opinions! It's kinda fun! Looking forward to seeing you later this week.
I don't know what I would choose. It depends on if you want a higher bar with higher stools or a shorter bar. Another question I have for you is do you mean an island or a peninsula? That would also make a difference. I think if it's a peninsula I would do two different levels and if it's an island one. Like in the pictures. Good luck! What fun! Some day we get to make those decisions too!
I personally like the look of the flat surface all the way across better (for an island...I agree with Erin about the island vs. penninsula thing) BUT I think the step up would be more functional for life with little kids who will be eating at the counter...a separation in the space should (hopefully) keep their little hands away from grabbing everything on it... :)
Can't wait to see it!
While the step up for the bar area is nice, it has a few draw backs:
1. Not as easy for friends and family to help prepare food on the other side.
2. Really high for the little ones right now...where are a normal counter height stool would be better.
3. It is a bit high for serving food.
4. It is another surface you have to clean (and backsplash to maintain)
5. The step up will give you places to put clutter, where as a flat surface is more likely to stay clutter free.
6. If you EVER plan to change the curfact of the counter (laminate now, granite later, etc) than a flat surface is the way to go as it will be much easier to upgrade down the road.
I wish I had an island/peninsula to consider for my own kitchen! :-) But we are going strong in our 650 sq. feet! All of these factors were ones my mom considered and she went with flat and is glad.
AND this is really fun! Keep sharing house decisions...even ones you don't need help on!
I voted for the flat surface, though I think there are definitely good reasons for the split height (all those mentioned here). I guess as a person with zero counterspace in my kitchen, the thought of maximizing surface space sways me to the flat option. I'm with Shannon on all the reasons for the flat one, though the split option looks great too!
I thought the flat surface would be better for maximizing counter space. The step up would break up the continuous space and would be to high for a prep area. I would rather have the larger prep area.
Post a Comment