Monday, August 9, 2010

On Your Second Birthday

Dear Camden,

Has it really already been two years since you entered our lives?  Two years since you were first placed in my arms and my world stopped turning.  Two years since your Daddy and I started to understand what unconditional love and commitment truly are?  You have brought us such incredible joy in such a short time, and we wake up every morning anxious to see what each new day will bring with you by our side.  You make us laugh, you blow us away with your intelligence and sense of humor, you amaze us with your growing sense of compassion.  When I stubbed my toe the other day, you patted my back and said "It's OK Mama" over and over again until I just wanted to take you in my arms and never let go.  When you lift my shirt up to rest your head on my growing belly and talk to your baby brother, I melt.  You are learning so much each day and it's already hard for me to remember when you were the little helpless newborn I held so close.  Bringing you into this world was the greatest challenge and greatest joy I have ever experienced.  The seemingly never-ending labor, the five hours of pushing, the back pain, the long and painful recovery process - all of it was worth it because now I have you!  Although I'm afraid of experiencing that same pain again with the upcoming birth of your little brother, I now know what an incredible reward I have at the end and it will help push me through.  You have taught me so much in these two short years - patience (something I am working on everyday, especially as you enter this third year of life), selflessness, unconditional love, teamwork for me and Daddy.  Sometimes there are difficult days.  You are not a good sleeper.  You have trouble falling asleep, you still often wake up in the night and you're up for good around 5:00am every morning.  You have a strong will and are very particular in how you want things done.  Despite these challenges, I know I was made to be your mother.  I have loved these moments, even when they are difficult.  Rocking you to sleep is something I will long for ten years down the road.  Nursing you in the night already seems like a distant memory, even though it was only a matter of months ago.  Watching you learn and grow and take in the world around you is incredible.  This upcoming year is going to bring many changes.  You are going to become more independent (which will make me both happy and sad!), you are going to become a big brother in just six short weeks, you are going to have to adjust to a new way of life, but I have no doubt in my mind that you will rise to every occasion.   You will be an incredible big brother - you already are!  Just know that your Mommy and Daddy love you with all that we are and that NOTHING will ever change that.  You are the best thing that has ever happened to us.
Love always,
Your Mama

And here you are tonight!!!  Celebrating your second birthday!  Happy Birthday Camden Benson Allenby!  We LOVE YOU!!!!

5 comments:

Cindy Benson said...

Awww... That is the sweetest entry!! I'm so glad you wrote it! What a great thing to do for every birthday! He is a special boy and life is a miracle! Can't wait to see how he continues to develop and grow and talk more and more and tell us all that he is thinking! Happy Birthday, Camden!! And don't forget that even the wild animals came out to greet you when you were born! I saw my first and only cougar run across the road the day before your birth; a deer stopped in the road and stared at us for a long time while we waited for it to move on our way to the hospital and a woodchuck kept peaking out of the ground outside your hospital window! :) That's pretty special!
We love you!! Love, Ami

Dad B said...

LB...to say this is beautiful is inadequate. You are a GREAT mom and Scott is a GREAT dad and Camden...truly special. We are so proud of you all.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CAMDEN!!

You Are Loved!!

--dad

B said...

ok - i have a new mommy goal: to write a letter to my baby on each of her birthdays!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CAMDEN!!!!

conveyableflow said...

Happy birthday, Camden! Super sweet post, Linds. And I love the teeny newborn pics!

M Hardie said...

This brought tears to my eyes! What a lovely, lovely letter to a lucky little boy. Isn't it amazing how much larger your heart gets the day they are born? And again each day they say or do something humane, gracious, and loving? Lucky you, your heart is about to double in size yet again! Both of your boys (OK, all 3 if you count Scott) are lucky to have you Linds!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...